cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Graph of Excel tools and functions?

B-D-T
Node Link

Has anyone built a graph database around MS Excel's functions/ tools? Something like,
(text function library)-[HAS_FUNCTION]->(mid function)
(data tools)-[HAS_TOOL]->(remove duplicates)
(charts)-[HAS_CHART]->(bar chart)-[HAS_ELEMENT]->(plot area)

I teach Excel and started building a graph for myself to help me organize my thoughts and course content. It occurred to me that there might be gist or someone else who's done this already, but I haven't found anything.

6 REPLIES 6

There have been investigations into thinking about spreadsheets as a graph, and integrations with spreadsheets, but not a catalog of features and tooling as you've described.

At first thought, this could be something like a mashup of a knowledge graph and a parts list, expressing both how and why all these items are related.

TBH it may be easier to model this in a mind-mapping tool first, and then import into Neo4j later if it'd be interesting to do dependency analysis and other investigations.

Best,
ABK

B-D-T
Node Link

Thanks @abk; at least I feel better about not missing something obvious that already exists.

Creating the categories and functions was pretty easy (thanks to this list), but I'm not sure where to go from here.

genealogy
Graph Buddy

I've been developing a set of user defined functions for genealogy data management and analytics. Reporting out uses Excel. The PlugIn is open source and at GitHub. I'd point you specifically to the ExcelLib which has functions for Excel. It uses java's jxl package to read, write and format Excel.

This tutorial may be helpful: Excel and Java - Read and Write Excel with Java - Tutorial. User defined functions are written in java 11.

I appreciate you calling this to my attention, @genealogy. It's not exactly what I'm looking for here -- I'm looking more toward storing the feature structure of the Excel software, rather than interfacing with it directly -- but I enjoyed seeing what you're doing with the genealogy UDFs.

This thread made me think of this presentation from my first Graph Connect in 2015 -

Spreadsheets are Graphs! by Felienne Hermans

Yup! I reached out to Dr. Hermans, but she didn't have anything in mind either.

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online