cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Using a predicate within an EXISTS clause

leelandclay
Graph Buddy

I'm working on a Ticket system where a user can input a ticket with a message and an Admin can respond back and forth until it's resolved.

I want to add an indicator to the ticket to show the user or admin if there's an unread message within the ticket. The concept I'm using is that only a user that did NOT submit the ticket message can mark it as read. Also, the non-submitting person will be the only one that sees the unread status (since the submitter has obviously read it).

The query I'm using is:

WITH 'iFhYQnIs7pMFbJLmC7Ko6E39bu33' as _userId
MATCH (tm:TicketMessage)<-[:HAS_MESSAGE]-(t:Ticket)-[:SUBMITTED_TICKET]-(p:Person {userId: _userId}) 
RETURN t, max(tm.created) as lastMessage,
SIZE( [(t)-[:HAS_MESSAGE]-(tm:TicketMessage {read: false}) WHERE tm.submitter <> _userId | tm] ) > 0  as unreadMessages 
ORDER BY unreadMessages DESC, lastMessage DESC

When I first started testing, everything worked great because I only had a single message per ticket. However, now I've noticed that this query will return a line for each TicketMessage. Distinct doesn't help since the "unreadMessages" could have two different responses. I also attempted to use the any() predicate, however I got an error that the function did not exists. I think it's because it's in the RETURN and not the WHERE.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think the tm variable you're using in the pattern comprehension isn't a new variable, but associated with tm that is still in scope, which is why you would be getting this per ticket message.

Try something like this:

MATCH (tm:TicketMessage)<-[:HAS_MESSAGE]-(t:Ticket)-[:SUBMITTED_TICKET]-(p:Person {userId: _userId}) 
WITH t, max(tm.created) as lastMessage, _userId
RETURN SIZE( [(t)-[:HAS_MESSAGE]-(tm:TicketMessage {read: false}) WHERE tm.submitter <> _userId | tm] ) > 0  as unreadMessages 

Adding the WITH in there should allow tm to go out of scope, and for the aggregation to reduce cardinality, allowing your pattern comprehension to use tm for a new variable and for it to work on fewer rows since it executes after the cardinality drops.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I think the tm variable you're using in the pattern comprehension isn't a new variable, but associated with tm that is still in scope, which is why you would be getting this per ticket message.

Try something like this:

WITH t, max(tm.created) as lastMessage, _userId
RETURN SIZE( [(t)-[:HAS_MESSAGE]-(tm:TicketMessage {read: false}) WHERE tm.submitter <> _userId | tm] ) > 0  as unreadMessages 

Adding the WITH in there should allow tm to go out of scope, and for the aggregation to reduce cardinality, allowing your pattern comprehension to use tm for a new variable and for it to work on fewer rows since it executes after the cardinality drops.

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much. I was pulling out what little hair I had left 🙂