cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Modeling complex attributes

pingelsan
Node Clone

In a project, I need to keep track of complex attributes of things, composed of (at least) a value and a unit, or even a value, a unit (like '10 mm'), allowed tolerances, min and max values etc.

What are the experiences in the community with using either properties on a node (prop1_val, prop1_unit, prop2_val, ... etc) or nodes describing the attribute (where the property names can stay the same for all the nodes).

My understanding is that there will be a tradeoff for 'self-containedness' vs. speed & ease of querying. I'm grateful for any insights!

best,
Christoph

4 REPLIES 4

MuddyBootsCode
Graph Steward

I think you're going to better off putting the properties on one node rather than using other nodes to describe the properties. That way you only have to query the one node to get the information you want rather than trying to aggregate a number of nodes to get the properties.

If you mean that the 'thing' node would contain the properties, then would it be a useful intermediate step to contain all properties together on a 'properties' node linked to the 'thing' by a HAS_PROPERTIES relationship?

The inclusion of a relationship that can hold an additional dimension of data could be useful.

Hi Pingelsan,

that's funny to read about your question while I just posted something that might interest you

Hi @pingelsan and @jonaslm899 , 

I just getting going with Neo4j and am having a similar question arise. I was wondering if either you settled on a solution that you liked. Right now, my plan is to take the (prop1_val, prop1_unit, prop2_val, ... etc) approach