cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Migration to Neo4j 4.0 cause errors with Full Text Search + NOT EXISTS checks

kearnsw
Node Link

I recently migrated from 3.5.x to 4.0.x and am experiencing one issue that I'm trying to understand how to proceed. I created a simplified query below to exemplify the issue that occurs with fulltext search and NOT EXISTS(property) queries:

CALL db.index.fulltext.queryNodes('MessageIndex', 'Test') YIELD node as m, score 
MATCH (u:User {id: "XXXXXX"})-[:likes]-(m)-[:from]-(o:Organization) 
WHERE EXISTS(m.messageType) AND (NOT EXISTS (m.expiryTime) OR m.expiryTime > 1594407732 ) 
RETURN DISTINCT m as message

Error:
NullCheckReferenceProperty(0,SlottedCachedPropertyWithPropertyToken(m,PropertyKeyName(expiryTime),0,false,55,2,NODE_TYPE,true)) (of class org.neo4j.cypher.internal.physicalplanning.ast.NullCheckReferenceProperty)

Version: Neo4j 4.0.6 Enterprise Server
Driver: Scala

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try:

CALL db.index.fulltext.queryNodes('MessageIndex', 'Test') YIELD node as m, score 
WHERE EXISTS(m.messageType) AND (m.expiryTime IS NULL OR m.expiryTime > 1594407732 ) 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hello @kearnsw and welcome to the Neo4j community

Did you get this error in the Neo4j Browser?

Is the request worked on 3.5?

Regards,
Cobra

kearnsw
Node Link

Hi Cobra,

Thanks! This is through both the Scala/Java Driver and the Neo4j Desktop app. Yes, the queries ran on 3.5.

Can you try?

Yes, I tried that. It works which is how I isolated the NOT EXIST(node.property) clause as the issue. However, this is still the recommended syntax for checking if a property does not exist according to the 4.0.x documentation.

Does this work?

WHERE EXISTS(m.messageType) 

Yes, and so does:

WHERE EXISTS(m.messageType) AND m.expiryTime > 1594407732

I’ve reproduced the same in other queries that only by removing the NOT EXISTS (node.property) clause does the issue resolve.

Try:

WHERE EXISTS(m.messageType) AND (m.expiryTime IS NULL OR m.expiryTime > 1594407732 ) 

kearnsw
Node Link

That worked, thank you! Is there a functional difference between node.property IS NULL and NOT EXISTS(node.property)? I'm just wondering why the docs recommend the latter.

To my knowledge, there is no difference, it is just a different syntax. I'm still surprised your syntax didn't work

Same issue and same solution in 4.2.3 Enterprise:
NOT EXITS(node.prop) causes Exception NullCheckReferenceProperty
node.prop IS NULL works...