cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Metrics Logging

I'm researching monitoring and metric solutions for Neo4j. What can people say about Graphite vs. Prometheus? Since I'm not using either and starting fresh, is there a preference on which I should choose?

2 REPLIES 2

Hello Mike,

Here's a couple of points that can influence your decision :

• Graphite has been along for quite a while (2006) as the no-thrills solid open source solution. Prometheus has been around since 2012 and is considered to be somewhat of a rebel, it's open source as well but actually challenging the commercial offerings in the arena (and with quite a bit of success)

• Graphite has a push model ... metrics are pushed to a graphite server. Prometheus has a pull model, when you activate it the Neo4j server exposes an extra endpoint and you connect your prometheus server to that.

• Both are easy to install (and well documented). Graphite is Linux-centered (couldn't - myself - get it set up on Windows), Prometheus seems not to care about the platform (worked in minutes on either OS).

• Both can be easily integrated with several visualization tools, Grafana being the most prominent one in the open source space.

So, it's a close call (there's an obvious reason we support both of them now) and as always the consultants answer is it depends on your usecase. If you have a complete green field situation, you can't actually make a wrong choice here.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Tom

Just wanted to share that I went with a Prometheus + Grafana setup. It was simpler than what I thought it was going to be to get everything up and working.

Now the hard part, choosing what to have on the dashboard. If anyone has any PromQL/Dashboards they'd like to share, I'd be interested in seeing them. Looks like I have some PromQL learning to do.