cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

How to calculate weight between nodes?

Hello, how are you guys?

I'm trying to calculate the weight of the relation between nodes, I know how to do using a script like in node or python language, but I think there is a better way using some algo or cypher language.

Use case:

CREATE (p:SystemType {name: 'A'});
CREATE (p:SystemType {name: 'B'});
CREATE (P:SystemType {name: 'C'});
CREATE (p:SystemType {name: 'D'});
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE a.name = 'A' AND b.name = 'B' CREATE (a)-[r:RELTYPE {description: 'x'}]->(b) RETURN type(r);
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE a.name = 'B' AND b.name = 'C' CREATE (a)-[r:RELTYPE {description: 'rt'}]->(b) RETURN type(r);
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE a.name = 'D' AND b.name = 'A' CREATE (a)-[r:RELTYPE {description: 'y'}]->(b) RETURN type(r);
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE a.name = 'A' AND b.name = 'B' CREATE (a)-[r:RELTYPE {description: 'tt'}]->(b) RETURN type(r);
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE a.name = 'D' AND b.name = 'B' CREATE (a)-[r:RELTYPE {description: 'bbb'}]->(b) RETURN type(r);
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE a.name = 'B' AND b.name = 'D' CREATE (a)-[r:RELTYPE {description: 'wer'}]->(b) RETURN type(r);
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE a.name = 'B' AND b.name = 'C' CREATE (a)-[r:RELTYPE {description: 'mm'}]->(b) RETURN type(r);
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE a.name = 'B' AND b.name = 'C' CREATE (a)-[r:RELTYPE {description: 'rtrrtnc'}]->(b) RETURN type(r);

Expect result:
B<>D = relation with weight 2
D<>A = relation with weight 1
A<>B= relation with weight 2
B<>C= relation with weight 3

Basic I don't care if the relation is in one direction or other, I just want see the number of connections between 2 nodes, create a new relation with a weight property.

Any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did some testing and didn't work 😞

n.name	n1.name	count(r)
"A"	"B"	2
"B"	"C"	3
"B"	"D"	1

Since some connections are missing i changed the query to and it worked.

MATCH (n:SystemType)-[r:RELTYPE]-(n1:SystemType)
WHERE id(n) < id(n1)
return n.name, n1.name , count(r)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I tried this cypher:

MATCH (n:SystemType)-[r:RELTYPE]->(n1:SystemType)

The result:

n.name n1.name count(r)
D A 1
D B 1
A B 2
B C 3
B D 1

In the query above D|B and B|D is the same for me. Is it clear?

This will remove the problem of A|B and B|A both being returned.

Hi john, thanks for the answer.

What is the operation < in the where clause doing? It is a math operation?

Today I came to this solution, it seems a little bit over, but it works:

MATCH (n:SystemType)-[r:RELTYPE]->(n1:SystemType)
WITH id(n) as na, id(n1) as nb, count(r) as total
WITH COLLECT({ na:na, nb:nb, total:total}) as list
UNWIND list as item
MATCH (a:SystemType), (b:SystemType) WHERE id(a) = item.na  AND id(b) = item.nb MERGE (a)-[rTest:TEST]-(b)
ON CREATE SET rTest.weigth= item.total
ON MATCH SET rTest.weigth=(rTest.weigth+ item.total)

I did some testing and didn't work 😞

n.name	n1.name	count(r)
"A"	"B"	2
"B"	"C"	3
"B"	"D"	1

Since some connections are missing i changed the query to and it worked.

MATCH (n:SystemType)-[r:RELTYPE]-(n1:SystemType)
WHERE id(n) < id(n1)

Ah yes. The ‘< ‘operator compares if the left node id is less than the right node id. If the direction of the relationship doesn’t matter using the id(a) < id(b) will remove having the situation where (a) is matched to (b) and (b) is matched to (a). Only one of the matches will be returned.