cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Formatting new date time instances

taffyb
Node Clone

Cypher now has great support for creating and comparing date time instances. Can we expect to see new functions for formatting these?

6 REPLIES 6

Have you had a look at the APOC date parsing/formatting functions?

https://neo4j-contrib.github.io/neo4j-apoc-procedures/#_conversion_between_formatted_dates_and_times...

Hi taffyb,

You should be able to use the apoc library methods: apoc.date.parse() and apoc.date.format() to achieve what you are looking for.

As an example, to convert the current timestamp in epoch that is returned by timestamp() function to a friendly format, you could do

WITH apoc.date.format( timestamp(), 'yyyyMMdd HH:mm:ss.ms') AS initialTime RETURN initialTime

Documentation can be found here: https://neo4j-contrib.github.io/neo4j-apoc-procedures/

Yes I have used apoc to do this. However currently (as far as I can tell) it requires me to get the timestamp or epoch value then format. I was hoping there might be something a bit more native.

You can declare dates in UTC format and get it back as epoch as well using datetime().

WITH datetime('2015-07-21T21:40:32.142+0100') AS date1 RETURN date1.epochMillis

I am not sure what your exact use-case is, but to feed a date into a query you have to use one of these formats:

1. epoch millis
  2. UTC date string
  3. A full date object, specifiying the timezone information:
WITH datetime({ year:1984, month:11, day:11, hour:12, minute:31, second:14, nanosecond: 645876123, timezone:'Europe/Stockholm' })

Hi taffyb,

This is something we'd like to see for our native temporal types, as the date formatting for APOC is convenient.

I believe this is on our backlog, though I'll confirm (and make sure it is if not).

Andrew
Native formating seems to be a natural addition. However changes to the apoc routines to accept temporal types as input might be another approach.