cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Datetime issue - Import data from SQL Server

I am using neo4j-admin import tool to import data from large csv files. These files are exported from SQL Server.
The problem that I am facing is different format between SQL and Neo4j:

In SQL Server, datetime field is: 2018-08-16 01:15:34.500
When I import data, it has an error: Text cannot be parsed to a DateTime

Because using neo4j import tool, I cannot use any apoc or something like that to reformat this string
How can I solve this ? (I am using Neo4j community 3.4.7)
Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Harvey,

Ah, it's probably an issue with the milliseconds there.

Suggest importing as a string into a temp property and then using Cypher to update all the nodes and set the real date-time property.

Cheers,
-Ryan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi Harvey,

Ah, it's probably an issue with the milliseconds there.

Suggest importing as a string into a temp property and then using Cypher to update all the nodes and set the real date-time property.

Cheers,
-Ryan

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for your reply,

So I have to use some tricks in this case. However, I think Neo4j should be enhanced to handle Datetime well in next versions.

Thanks.
Harvey

Agreed that it’d be good if we could specify a datetime format string along with the type.

Will put in that request.

Cheers
Ryan

I am having the same issue. Lets Can we improve datetime Function for Epoch timestamps as well?

The issue seems to be the space between the date and the time. Replacing the space for "T" fixed the issue for me.
MATCH(n:Node) RETURN datetime( REPLACE(n.DateTime," ","T"))

Thanks, found this really helpful. Not sure if anyone else had the same issue, but I found replacing the space with a "T" imports this column as a string, not a datetime type. Therefore it still needs to be converted into a datetime series after.

Try this:

with "2018-08-16 01:15:34.500" as dte
RETURN apoc.date.format(apoc.date.parse(dte, 'ms', 'yyyy-MM-dd'), 'ms', 'yyyy-MM-dd')

result:
"2018-08-16"

During import from csv file replace 'dte' with date column say row.date.

Faced same issue but below code works for me without apoc .

1. SPLIT milliseconds separate
  2. Replace space btw Date and time with "T"

Eg.
LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM "file:///sourcepath.csv" AS csvRecord

RETURN datetime(REPLACE(SPLIT(csvRecord.dt,".")[0]," ","T"))

CSV date field dt contains "2020-01-25 16:18:24.000"

Result : "2020-01-25T 16:18:24Z" .

Hope it helps!