cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Database failed to start: DB

nadavbe
Node Clone

Using Neo4j Desktop (1.3.4) and Browser on Windows 10.
Every time I create a new DB, close the explorer and stop the DB from running (all in a proper way), next time I want to start the DB I get an error like the following:

Database failed to start: DB [database-deaf23e8-764c-4ddb-8a8d-a681c07aefd4] 'v4.1.0' exited with status 'KILLED'. Check the logs

I've tried everything I've found online: removing the APOC plugin, uninstalling, and reinstalling.
Nothing helps. I can't continue working on an existing DB because it never lets me get back to it.

Any idea how to solve this?

15 REPLIES 15

Hello @nadavbe

Which version of Neo4j Database are you using?
Is it a local or server version?
Did you check the logs?

Regards,
Cobra

nadavbe
Node Clone

Hi @Cobra
I'm using version 4.1.0.
It's a local DB.

The log has a message like this (I hopes it's related):

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007ffc8d2b4323, pid=11300, tid=17688

JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu11.35+13-CA) (11.0.5+10) (build 11.0.5+10-LTS)
Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (11.0.5+10-LTS, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, windows-amd64)
Problematic frame:
V [jvm.dll+0x6a4323]

No core dump will be written. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows

How many RAM are you giving to the database?
Is Java up-to-date?

nadavbe
Node Clone

Just downloaded the latest version of Java just to make sure.
Not sure how much RAM, I suppose it's one of these values?

dbms.memory.heap.initial_size=512m
dbms.memory.heap.max_size=1G

That's weird

Could you completely uninstall Neo4j Desktop and clean the PC (ccleaner) and try to install again?

Regards,
Cobra

nadavbe
Node Clone

I was thinking maybe it has to do with me creating a large set of relationships (~2M) using an APOC command (iterate) ?
I usually create the data with this and then I can't come back

Can we see the request?

How many batchsize are you using?

I'm facing the exact same issue with Neo4j 4.1.1.
I run Neo4j on Windows 10.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007ff9ad3e4323, pid=984, tid=17276
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu11.35+13-CA) (11.0.5+10) (build 11.0.5+10-LTS)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (11.0.5+10-LTS, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, windows-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [jvm.dll+0x6a4323]
#
# No core dump will be written. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#

nadavbe
Node Clone

@Cobra this is the script I'm using with APOC in order to create a large set of relationships:

CALL apoc.periodic.iterate(
"MATCH (p1:Phase) return p1",
"match (p2:Phase {msid: p1.msid, phase_index: p1.phase_index + 1})
merge (p1)-[:JOURNEY_PHASE]->(p2)",
{batchSize:1000})

Interestingly, after more than 2 days of not being able to start this DB, it did start now (but I don't have high hopes it will continue this way).

@hoangphucITJP are you using APOC functions? Do you have this plugin installed at all? I'm interested to know if we're doing anything similar.

No I don't have APOC installed

You shoud do:

CALL apoc.periodic.iterate("
    MATCH (p1:Phase)
    MATCH (p2:Phase {msid: p1.msid, phase_index: p1.phase_index + 1})
    RETURN p1, p2
    ", "
    MERGE (p1)-[:JOURNEY_PHASE]->(p2)
    ", {batchSize:1000})

You can also reduce the batchsize if you don't have a good machine

Well, I've just started a new DB. All I did is reading from a CSV. And can't access this one too.
No idea how to continue with this

I don't understand, it's not the same problem?

It is. I just thought that complex actions are the cause of this. But it appears that also without APOC installed it's occuring.

The problem does not happend when I use neo4j server though. So it's solved for me since I don't really need the desktop version.