cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Using IS NULL instead of NOT exists() doesn't work as expected

In the "Using WHERE to Filter Queries" chapter, the Testing with patterns - 2 example is

MATCH (p:Person)-[:WROTE]->(m:Movie)
WHERE NOT exists( (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) )
RETURN p.name, m.title

This works perfectly well and returns 6 results.

However, earlier in the Chapter, it is mentioned that the exists() function will be deprecated after v4.3, so I wanted to create the equivalent query using NULL instead. So I tried

WHERE ( (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) ) IS NULL
RETURN p.name, m.title

but this returns no results. What have I done wrong?

Thanks for any help!

4 REPLIES 4

if you take your

WHERE ( (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) ) IS NULL
RETURN p.name, m.title

and change to

RETURN ( (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) ), p.name, m.title

you will see that for paths that do not exist for ( (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) ) this returns [] which is not the same as NULL

Hi Dana,

Thank you for the explanation; it makes sense. If I change the query to

WHERE ( (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) ) =
RETURN p.name, m.title

I get the expected results

However, this does mean that the suggestion to simply replace exists() with IS NOT NULL is not quite as straight forward as it seems!

Learning: check what's actually in the database rather than assuming it's a NULL

There are some changes coming, we don't want a pattern to evaluate to a list like this, so WHERE ( (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) ) = [] isn't how we want to express this restriction (plus it's really awkward and unintuitive).

I think we're keeping exists() for patterns, but we are deprecating it for property existence checks.

So WHERE NOT exists( (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) ) should be fine (and I think you can even go without the exists() here, so WHERE NOT (p)-[:DIRECTED]->(m) should still be fine)

But WHERE NOT exists(m.title) would be deprecated in favor of WHERE m.title IS NULL.

Thank. you @ian.baker . We will make it clearer in the course how to test for the existence of a pattern.

Elaine