cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

unique genres: Intermediate Cypher Queries

I wanted to make a variant of the exercise and verify automatically which are the unique genres . This is my solution:

call{
MATCH (n:Movie)
WHERE n.imdbRating IS NOT NULL AND n.poster IS NOT NULL
WITH n {
  .title,
  .imdbRating,
  actors: [ (n)<-[:ACTED_IN]-(p) | p { tmdbId:p.imdbId, .name } ],
  genres: [ (n)-[:IN_GENRE]->(g) | g {.name}]
}
ORDER BY n.imdbRating DESC
LIMIT 4
RETURN collect(n) as listOfFilms
}
call{
  with listOfFilms
  unwind listOfFilms as x
  with uniquegen = [genx{.name} in x.genres where 
    unwind listOfFilms as y
    isEmpty([geny{.name} in y.genres  where x<>and geny.name=geny.name ]
    )
  ]
return uniquegen
}
return uniquegen

The second call doesn't work since I get an error for the presence of "where " after x.genres in the definition of the list. There I wanted to use a list comprehension to define a list of genres that are unique: that genre is present in only one movie in the list got from the first call. Why I get that error ? 
The problem is in the second call:
With unwind I get x as iterator for listOfFilm then I build the list uniqueGen doing so: I add genx{.name}  in the list (genx is an element of list x) only if there isn't an other element geny with genx = geny and geny got from list y with y iterator on listOfFilm, as previously, I verify also x<>y otherwise the film could be the same.  
1 REPLY 1

The error is due to your syntax in the second call statement. There is not an assignment operator in the 'with' clause. Instead, you use the 'as' clause to set a value to a variable. 

I didn't know try to fix your query, as it is really a convoluted approach. You can use the following query if you are just interested in the list of unique genres. 

match(n:Movie)-[:IN_GENRE]->(g) 
with g.name as genre, count(n) as noOfMovies
where noOfMovies = 1
return genre