cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Unable to run Neo4j 3.5.8 DB in either Desktop or command line

Hi guys,

After a friend upgraded my Neo4j database for me from 3.2.20 to 3.5.8 I have been unable to load it either in Neo4j Desktop or in the Neo4j Community Server I downloaded (Windows 10). Unfortunately, I'm also unable to go back to the 3.2.20 version in Neo4j Desktop because the earliest DB version it now offers is 3.4.

I now have no way of working with either the old version in 3.2.20 or the new version in 3.5.8.

In the logs in Neo4j Desktop I see the following errors, which seem to be related to APOC. I should note that after first encountering this error I uninstalled the old APOC and then installed the new version. The errors remain the same:

2019-08-06 01:46:36.895+0000 ERROR Failed to start Neo4j: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1a45193b' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.LogService". Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1a45193b' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.LogService".
org.neo4j.server.ServerStartupException: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1a45193b' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.LogService".
at org.neo4j.server.exception.ServerStartupErrors.translateToServerStartupError(ServerStartupErrors.java:45)
at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:187)
at org.neo4j.server.ServerBootstrapper.start(ServerBootstrapper.java:124)
at org.neo4j.server.ServerBootstrapper.start(ServerBootstrapper.java:91)
at com.neo4j.server.enterprise.CommercialEntryPoint.main(CommercialEntryPoint.java:22)
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1a45193b' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.LogService".
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:473)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.start(LifeSupport.java:111)
at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:180)
... 3 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error starting org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory, C:\Users\iiand.Neo4jDesktop\neo4jDatabases\database-7c34a2e2-3165-4d8b-a3cc-afe3f21dd11a\installation-3.5.8\data\databases
at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.initFacade(GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.java:230)
at com.neo4j.commercial.edition.CommercialGraphDatabase.(CommercialGraphDatabase.java:20)
at com.neo4j.server.database.CommercialGraphFactory.newGraphDatabase(CommercialGraphFactory.java:40)
at org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase.start(LifecycleManagingDatabase.java:90)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:452)
... 5 more
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component 'org.neo4j.kernel.extension.GlobalKernelExtensions@2e9fda69' failed to initialize. Please see the attached cause exception "org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.LogService".
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.init(LifeSupport.java:434)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.init(LifeSupport.java:66)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.start(LifeSupport.java:102)
at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.initFacade(GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.java:225)
... 9 more
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.extension.FailedToBuildKernelExtensionException: Failed to build kernel extension KernelExtension:ApocKernelExtensionFactory[APOC] because it is compiled with a reference to a class, method, or field, that is not in the class path: 'org/neo4j/kernel/impl/logging/LogService'. The most common cause of this problem, is that Neo4j has been upgraded without also upgrading allinstalled extensions, such as APOC. Make sure that all of your extensions are build against your specific version of Neo4j.
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.KernelExtensionFailureStrategies.wrap(KernelExtensionFailureStrategies.java:60)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.KernelExtensionFailureStrategies.access$100(KernelExtensionFailureStrategies.java:26)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.KernelExtensionFailureStrategies$1.handle(KernelExtensionFailureStrategies.java:76)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.AbstractKernelExtensions.init(AbstractKernelExtensions.java:72)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.init(LifeSupport.java:413)
... 12 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/neo4j/kernel/impl/logging/LogService
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2701)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetPublicMethods(Class.java:2902)
at java.lang.Class.getMethods(Class.java:1615)
at sun.misc.ProxyGenerator.generateClassFile(ProxyGenerator.java:451)
at sun.misc.ProxyGenerator.generateProxyClass(ProxyGenerator.java:339)
at java.lang.reflect.Proxy$ProxyClassFactory.apply(Proxy.java:639)
at java.lang.reflect.Proxy$ProxyClassFactory.apply(Proxy.java:557)
at java.lang.reflect.WeakCache$Factory.get(WeakCache.java:230)
at java.lang.reflect.WeakCache.get(WeakCache.java:127)
at java.lang.reflect.Proxy.getProxyClass0(Proxy.java:419)
at java.lang.reflect.Proxy.newProxyInstance(Proxy.java:719)
at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.util.DependenciesProxy.dependencies(DependenciesProxy.java:55)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.AbstractKernelExtensions.getKernelExtensionDependencies(AbstractKernelExtensions.java:114)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.AbstractKernelExtensions.init(AbstractKernelExtensions.java:61)
... 13 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.LogService
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:381)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:335)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
... 28 more

When I try and launch the Neo4j 3.5.8 Community server from the command line I'm told that I don't have Java installed -- but I had installed the latest Open JDK before downloading the Neo4j binaries.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can progress?

Thanks,
Iian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.extension.FailedToBuildKernelExtensionException: Failed to build kernel extension KernelExtension:ApocKernelExtensionFactory[APOC] because it is compiled with a reference to a class, method, or field, that is not in the class path: 'org/neo4j/kernel/impl/logging/LogService'. The most common cause of this problem, is that Neo4j has been upgraded without also upgrading allinstalled extensions, such as APOC. Make sure that all of your extensions are build against your specific version of Neo4j.

is probably all you need to know to resolve. What version of APOC is installed (i.e. what is the name of the jar at $NEO4J_HOME/plugins)?

The most recent version is APOC 3.5.0.4

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

is probably all you need to know to resolve. What version of APOC is installed (i.e. what is the name of the jar at $NEO4J_HOME/plugins)?

The most recent version is APOC 3.5.0.4

You are a life saver, sir. When I checked the plugins directory I found both the old and new version of APOC - clearly it didn't delete it as I thought it would, and the two JAR files must have triggered a version conflict.

Once I deleted the old JAR file I was able to successfully load the 3.5.8 DB.

Thanks!