cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Prerequisites to Cypher tutorial

mackellb
Node Link

I want to work through the tutorial at

which is an introduction to Cypher
At one point in the tutorial it says to do this
CREATE (p:Person)-[:LIKES]->(t:Technology)

I have the Neo4J Desktop installed, which comes with one project called Neo4j Primer Project, which has a Movie Database which I can start. Should I use this database for the above tutorial or should I create another one? The tutorial, which purports to be for beginners, never says if I need to create a new database or not.
Sorry if this is too newbie for Newbie Questions, but I am really lost. What steps do I need to take before doing this tutorial?

3 REPLIES 3

Some of the later query examples work on the movies graph, so using the movies graph for the earlier examples seems okay, there's only a couple of those anyway.

mackellb
Node Link

OK, but to do things like creating new graphs, which some of the tutorials do - should I create a new database for each graph?

I'm just getting started myself, just a little bit ahead, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I would say yeah, use the command to generate a new database at the beginning of each tutorial. It'll help you ensure that if you correctly formulated the Cypher, you'll get the exact answer as the solution.

Best of luck!