cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Repo query method is slow

Hi devs,

I am experiencing performance issues with a rather small dataset (few hundred thousand nodes).

I have the following nodes:

(NodeA)-[:ASSOCIATED_WITH]-(Association)-[:MARKER]-(Marker)

@NodeEntity
public class NodeA{

@GraphId
Long id;

private String type;

@Relationship(type = "ASSOCIATED_WITH")
List<Association> associations;

}

@NodeEntity
public class Association{

@GraphId
Long id;

private Marker marker;

private String prop1;
private String prop2;
private String prop3;
private String prop4;
private String prop15;
}

@NodeEntity
public class Marker{

@GraphId
Long id;

private String symbol;
}

There are about 100-30.000 Associations linked to NodeA and there is one Marker per Association (the Marker node is often the same)

Running a query method that gets the associations with the markers from the db is rather slow...

@Query("
MATCH (n1:NodeA) WHERE n1.type = {type} 
WITH n1
MATCH (n1)-[r1:ASSOCIATED_WITH]-(n2:Association)-[r2:MARKER]-(n3:Marker) 
RETURN n1, r1, n2, r2, n3
")
NodeA getWithDataByType(@Param("type") String type);

Q1: What changes should I make to improve query performance?
Q2: I don't think I can use a composite index on the associations since not all 15 props are populated for every node. What other indexing options do I have?

4 REPLIES 4

Hello!

Have is the type property on the NodeA label indexed? If that's the search parameter, it should help to index that one.

Also, I think an @Relationship needs added to the Marker definition inside the Association class. Linking those within the application will match the results from the database with your application entities/relationships.

Finally, does a query structured like this improve performance? Pulling a single path might be better than using 2 separate MATCH statements.

MATCH (n1:NodeA)-[r1:ASSOCIATED_WITH]-(n2:Association)-[r2:MARKER]-(n3:Marker)
WHERE n1.type = {type} 
RETURN n1, r1, n2, r2, n3

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Yes, NodeA label is indexed. (as in I am using the @Index annotation on it)
  • There was no Relationship annotation on the marker, added that.
  • Also changed the query structure to have one match.

After these changes I still have similar results.

An example here: Number of associations linked to NodeA: 7058, Query response time:10469ms

Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Csaba

I wonder if it would help if I stored the ASSOCIATED_WITH relationship on both NodeA and the Association nodes? Or is that an overkill?

Bert
Node Clone

Can you check if the index is actually there? CALL apoc.index.list() YIELD type,name,config

From what I read on https://docs.spring.io/spring-data/neo4j/docs/5.1.4.RELEASE/reference/html/#reference:indexing:creat... just adding @Index might not be enough. But it is some time since I last used SDN.