cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

How to use projection with findAll()

Hi,

I try to add a method to my Neo4jRepository to find all nodes of a certain label, but I need to use a Projection because I don't want all data, but I cannot find a syntax that fits :

public List<PatternPreview> findAllProjectedBy();
This gives NullPointerException, I think because I don't have anything behind "By" (this one used to work with relational DB like Mysql that I used previously)

public List<PatternPreview> findAllProjected();
This gives Caused by: org.springframework.data.mapping.PropertyReferenceException: No property findAllProjected found for type Pattern!

public List<PatternPreview> findAll();
And this does not compile as it says The return type is incompatible with Neo4jRepository<Pattern,String>.findAll()

I would apreciate a hint
Thx

6 REPLIES 6

This is definitely a limitation right now in Spring Data Neo4j. But good news are, thanks to your question, we created an issue https://jira.spring.io/browse/DATAGRAPH-1183 and are currently working on this.

@gerrit.meier Is there any way to do this at the moment? I think my case is similar to Sabrina's, except I'm manually defining the query. Does the OGM have any way to map a projected node to a @NodeEntity? Just to be clear, I'm talking about this kind of thing:

MATCH (n:ContentSet)
RETURN n{ .uuid, .name } AS n

I can't find very much about this, but from what I know about OGM, this is not possible without new support e.g. in the ticket you posted. Is that correct, or I can I get around this somehow, even if I have to e.g. define new @NodeEntity (which I'm willing to do)?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your need, but it's possible to map a custom query directly to a pojo without using projection, NodeEntity, or QueryResult.

Set<EnrollmentGroup> groupMetadataEnrollmentGroups =
            resultToSet(
                session.query(
                    "MATCH (:GroupMetadata)-[:ENROLLMENT]->(eg:EnrollmentGroup) " +
                        "RETURN eg.type AS type, eg.name AS name, eg.relationship AS relationship, eg.node AS node " +
                        "ORDER BY name",
                    Collections.emptyMap()
                ),
                EnrollmentGroup.class);
public class EnrollmentGroup {
    private String type;
    private String name;
    private String node;
    private String relationship;
}
	public static <T> Set<T> resultToSet(Result result, Class<T> resultType) {
		return new HashSet<>(ObjectUtils.jsonToList(
			ObjectUtils.objectToJson(result),
			resultType));
	}

ObjectUtils is a homegrown class I won't elaborate upon, but the method names are self-explanatory.

Ah, very nice example, thanks @bierman.bob. That would work, if I had the time to change our fundamental patterns. But we use the native NodeEntity/RelationshipEntity across 100+ cases, on a deep tree of significantly complex nodes and relationships. For reference, here is a start on what the sparse/projected query might look like, and this is only a small part of it:

MATCH (cs:ContentSet)
        OPTIONAL MATCH (cs)-[ptP:PRESENTS]->(pt:PersonaTemplate)
        OPTIONAL MATCH (pt)-[itP:INTENDS]->(it:IntentTemplate)
        OPTIONAL MATCH (it)-[itstP:PRESENTS]->(itst:SurveyTemplate)
        OPTIONAL MATCH (pt)-[ptstP:PRESENTS]->(ptst:SurveyTemplate)
        RETURN cs{ .uuid, .name } AS cs,
            ptP,
            pt{ .uuid, .name } AS pt,
            itP,
            it{ .uuid, .name } AS it,
            itstP,
            itst{ .uuid, .name } AS itst,
            ptstP,
            ptst{ .uuid, .name } AS ptst

I was looking for existing support to quickly define e.g. the "sparse" version of objects. Or some wishful cypher syntax to re-qualify a projected map to a known @NodeEntity, like RETURN n{ .uuid, .name } AS (:ContentSet). As far as I can tell, even "open projection" can't do what I need. So, I think I would have to go down the route you kindly suggested, or wait for unknown future support!

Thanks for the ideas.

You're welcome, @Jiropole . We do have quite a few @NodeEntity and repo methods, but I ditched @QueryResult and projection early on. Although my example doesn't show it, many of our queries are custom and touch a lot of nodes, and this pattern has provided a flexible solution with minimal setup.