cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Visualizing firewall data

Coming from a traditional RDBMS and having a DBA background, I'm familiar with database concepts, but feel as though i'm missing something big. I'm attempting to import firewall log data. Nothing fancy, just (ip A) - [:SENT {srcport, dstport, protocol}] -> (ip B)

I have an import model that works using the API, but it is SLOOOOOOOOOW. It takes 30 minutes for a 5MB file of approximately 56k rows.

In a standard relational database, this could be held in active page pool memory on a Rev1 Raspberry Pi board, so why is it so slow in NEO4J?

I would be happy to post how i'm interfacing with data and answer any questions.

2 REPLIES 2

Hi and welcome!
Could you share the code you are using to import the data? That will be a huge help in understanding what the issue(s) could be.

Sure thing! Sorry it took me a while to reply... some life events occurred. The below is a script i'm running in Powershell to interact with the API.

I've also attached all the relevant files. Please note, I tried loading all the "ports" and created an index because I thought maybe it was getting hung up on trying to create in memory relationships that it didn't need. It takes just as long whether or not you do that step...

please download and rename ports.txt to ports.json
download the UUID file names and rename to .csv extension

# LOAD PORTS #
$retval = get-content "C:\users\mban\documents\ports.json"

$url = "http://127.0.0.1:7474"
$credPair = "neo4j:test"
$encodedCredentials = [System.Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::ASCII.GetBytes($credPair))
$headers = @{"Authorization"="Basic $encodedCredentials"; "Accept"="application/json; charset=UTF-8";"Content-Type"="application/json"}

$response = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "$($url)/db/data/transaction/commit" -Method Post -Headers $headers -Body $($retval)
$response.content

# CREATE INDEX #
$queries = @{}
$queries['statements'] = @()
$query = "CREATE INDEX ports_port_index FOR (n:ports) ON (n.port)"
$queries['statements'] += [ordered]@{'statement'="$($query)"}
$retval = $queries| ConvertTo-Json

$encodedCredentials = [System.Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::ASCII.GetBytes($credPair))
$headers = @{"Authorization"="Basic $encodedCredentials"; "Accept"="application/json; charset=UTF-8";"Content-Type"="application/json"}

$response = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "$($url)/db/data/transaction/commit" -Method Post -Headers $headers -Body $($retval)
$response.content

# LOAD IPOBJ DATA #

$data = "C:\users\mban\Documents\golang\data"

foreach ($UUID in ($(Get-ChildItem "$($data)\go_output\*.csv" -File).name | ForEach-Object {$_.split("_")[0]} | Sort-Object -Unique))
    {
        $queries = @{}

$query = "LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM 'file:///data/go_output/$($uuid)_send_data.csv' AS row
        MERGE (from:ipobj {ip: row.srcip, ipversion: row.srcipver, internal: row.srcipinternal})
        MERGE (to:ipobj {ip: row.dstip, ipversion: row.dstipver, internal: row.dstipinternal})"

$query = "LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM 'file:///data/go_output/$($uuid)_receive_data.csv' AS row
        MERGE (from:ipobj {ip: row.srcip, ipversion: row.srcipver, internal: row.srcipinternal})
        MERGE (to:ipobj {ip: row.dstip, ipversion: row.dstipver, internal: row.dstipinternal})"

$query = "LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM 'file:///data/go_output/$($uuid)_forward_data.csv' AS row

$query = "LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM 'file:///data/go_output/$($uuid)_unknown_data.csv' AS row

$response.content
    }

# CREATE IPOBJ INDEX #
$queries = @{}

$query = "CREATE INDEX ipobj_ip_index FOR (n:ipobj) ON (n.ip)"

$response.content

# CREATE RELATIONSHIPS #
foreach ($UUID in ($(Get-ChildItem "$($data)\go_output\*.csv" -File).name | ForEach-Object {$_.split("_")[0]} | Sort-Object -Unique))
    {
        $queries = @{}

$query = "LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM 'file:///data/go_output/$($uuid)_send_data.csv' AS row
        MATCH (from:ipobj {ip: row.srcip})
        MATCH (to:ipobj {ip: row.dstip})
		MATCH (srcports:ports {port: row.srcport})
		MATCH (dstports:ports {port: row.dstport})
		MERGE (from)-[datatransfer:SENT {type: row.action, srcport: srcports.port, dstport: dstports.port}]->(to)"

$query = "LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM 'file:///data/go_output/$($uuid)_receive_data.csv' AS row
		MERGE (from)-[datatransfer:RECEIVED {type: row.action, srcport: srcports.port, dstport: dstports.port}]->(to)"

$query = "LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM 'file:///data/go_output/$($uuid)_forward_data.csv' AS row
		MERGE (from)-[datatransfer:FORWARDD {type: row.action, srcport: srcports.port, dstport: dstports.port}]->(to)"

$query = "LOAD CSV WITH HEADERS FROM 'file:///data/go_output/$($uuid)_unknown_data.csv' AS row
		MERGE (from)-[datatransfer:UNKNOWN {type: row.action, srcport: srcports.port, dstport: dstports.port}]->(to)"

$response.content
    }
Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online