cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Possible to granularly iterate over or "walk" an index from a starting node?

Hello!

I have tried googling this question in different ways and cannot find a definitive answer, although the functionality seems unlikely (from what I've found) but maybe possible(??).

Q: In any of the Neo4j versions with or without any of the libraries or APIs, is it possible to linearly traverse or "walk" a single-property b-tree index from an arbitrary starting node in that index, essentially using the index as a sorted linked list? E.g. starting at an indexed node in the middle of a single property index, is it possible to determine which N nodes are directly above and/or below that position in the index in ~O(N) db hits?

The specific context for this question is difficult to articulate, but my project involves ~10 million nodes that all share the same four b-tree property indexes that linearly rank the nodes. For performance reasons I would like to start at an arbitrary node, then read an arbitrary number of nodes directly above and/or below that node traversing along one of the indexes in O(N) database hits, N being the number of nodes read above/below.

I know I could accomplish this with 40 million relationships that would form sorted linked lists along those 4 indexes, but if possible I would like to avoid this because:

• The indexed property values will be changing somewhat frequently and I would rather not deal with keeping the sorted linked lists updated myself (would probably need to make a custom procedure using the Java dev API), whereas property indexes will stay updated behind the scenes
  • There is much else happening in this db, and I would like to avoid those 40 million relationships if b-tree index traversal could accomplish the same thing.

I found the (deprecated, to be replaced at some point) traversal framework in the Java API but that appears to only work with relationships. I essentially want that framework, but using indexes instead. Is this possible somehow?

1 REPLY 1

Well if an IndexSeekByRange is used that should work.

For example, if there's an index on :Person(born), then you could use:

MATCH (p:Person) 
WHERE p.born > 1950
RETURN p.born as dob
ORDER BY dob ASC
LIMIT 10

And that should walk the index getting 10 nodes within that range. Also, because the predicate acts as a type hint (the planner now knows this is an index with integer types), it can plan this using index-backed ordering, so the ordering as well as the projection of the property is driven by the index.

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online