cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Performance inconsistencies when fetching mutual relationships

Hi there,

My original use-case is fetching all mutual relationships between two groups of nodes.
One of the groups of nodes contains a supernode (i.e. a node with a very high degree).

Let's call n the group of nodes that contains only regular nodes and sn the group of nodes that contains a supernode.

My cypher query is the following:

MATCH (sn)-[r]-(n)
WHERE ID(sn) in [1, 999] // node 999 has high degree (1163)
AND ID(n) in [2, 3] // nodes 1, 2 and 3 have a low degree (3)
RETURN r

I'm currently using Neo4j 3.3.0 to benchmark this query, and I noticed something very odd: the performance of the query depends on the names of the variables I am using for sn, n and r.

More particularly, the performances depend of the alphabetical order of the variables.
I have tried changing other things in the query:

• order of the ID(x) in [] statements
  • switching (sn)-[r]-(n) for (sn)-[r]-(n)

But after lots of testing, the only change that has a consistent impact on the performance of the query is the alphabetical order of the variable names used for sn, n and r.

To test my query, I have the following process:

• I rename sn, n and r to a different name (sn => v1, n => v2, r => v3) and profile my query.
  • then, I change the alphabetical order (e.g. sn => v2, n => v3, r => v1) and profile again
  • etc.

Here are the results for all possible permutations:

1. sn => v1, r => v2, n => v3: FAST
  2. sn => v1, n => v2, r => v3: FAST
  3. r => v1, sn => v2, n => v3: SLOW (i.e. at least of DB hit for each relationship of supernode 999)
  4. r => v1, n => v2, sn => v3: FAST
  5. n => v1, r => v2, sn => v3: SLOW (i.e. at least of DB hit for each relationship of supernode 999)
  6. n => v1, sn => v2, r => v3: SLOW (i.e. at least of DB hit for each relationship of supernode 999)

Profiling for each query:

1. profile match (v1)-[v2]-(v3) where id(v1) in [1, 999] and id(v3) in [2, 3] return v2
  2. profile match (v1)-[v3]-(v2) where id(v1) in [1, 999] and id(v2) in [2, 3] return v3
    upload limit
  3. profile match (v2)-[v1]-(v3) where id(v2) in [1, 999] and id(v3) in [2, 3] return v1
    2X_b_bc071e22fd9e0bda1491873a48fe5f9a837ec176.png
  4. profile match (v3)-[v1]-(v2) where id(v3) in [1, 99] and id(v2) in [2, 3] return v1
    upload limit
  5. profile match (v3)-[v2]-(v1) where id(v3) in [1, 999] and id(v1) in [2, 3] return v2
    upload limit
  6. profile match (v2)-[v3]-(v1) where id(v2) in [1, 999] and id(v1) in [2, 3] return v3
    upload limit

Having to worry about the alphabetical ordering of variable names in a query makes it quite difficult to try and make queries fast

On the other hand, I might be on the wrong track, and I'm open to suggestions for alternative queries to get the same result in a more fast and stable way.

Best,

David

3 REPLIES 3

It's about the ordering it uses for expand into.

I think that was partially fixed in 3.4

In general it tries to go from the non-dense node side, but if both nodes have > 50 rels, both count as dense.

If you know which group is the one with the supernode then match the other group first
and then the 2nd group via expand.

It would also be good to use a direction + rel-type if possible.

MATCH (n)
WHERE ID(n) in [2, 3] // nodes 1, 2 and 3 have a low degree (3)
MATCH (sn)-[r]-(n)
WHERE ID(sn) in [1, 999] // node 999 has high degree (1163)
RETURN r

Thank you Michael!
We will try this workaround.
Were you able to confirm that this was fixed in Neo4j v3.4?
Best,
David

Best test it yourself with your specific dataset + query. And let us know if it persists.