cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Neo4j service fails to start after a Java update

Hi all,

I have a locally installed Neo4j Server (Community 4.4.11) which I previously installed as a Windows Service. It used to work fine but then I recently tried to start the service and was  greeted with the following:

error.png

Looking at the jdk path quoted, it looks like I now have jdk-11.0.16.101-hotspot and the 11.0.12.7 path is (almost) empty. I'm assuming Java updated automatically in the background and got rid of the old version. So, a couple of questions:

• How do I get my Neo4j service up and running again?
  • How do I avoid this problem in the future?

I've tried uninstalling the Neo4j service, but the 'bin\Neo4j uninstall-service'  command gives exactly the same error, since it too, seems to need Java. I've tried downloading and installing jdk 11.0.12 but it wants to put it in a totally different install directory, so that doesn't seem right, and it doesn't mention the 'hotspot' postfix.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your JAVA_HOME is incorrect - the error message shows that there is no java there. First thing to try is to correct that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Can you test if java is installed correctly by executing 'java -version' in a cmd window? It should tell you the version installed if it is working.  What is your JAVA_HOME environment variable? 

Thanks for taking the time to reply 🙂

Here's the cmd output to your queries:

thomasdprice01_0-1671653864488.png

Your JAVA_HOME is incorrect - the error message shows that there is no java there. First thing to try is to correct that.

Thanks for the message, what's likely to have been the root cause of the variable not updating properly?

Don't know - it's been a *long* time since I've used Java on WIndows, but in my faint memory, I believe that setting JAVA_HOME is something you do manually after installing Java

Ok, I'll look into that, thanks. So I seem to have got it all working again - I updated the JAVA_HOME variable to point at the newer jdk path, and then had to run: 'neo4j update-service' to get the service to run properly again. Thanks for your help both of you!