cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Neo4j does not work with the neo4j start command

I'm new to Neo4j and I'm trying to install and launch neo4j-community edition on an instance of EC2 (Ubuntu) on AWS. I have followed some tutorials but I am confused as should be the configuration of the file neo4j.conf to expose with the IP of the EC2 and port of neo4j and connect from any PC.

Ubuntu version: 18.04.5 LTS
Neo4j version: 4.1.1

Running neo4j console I get the following:

Directories in use:
  home:         /var/lib/neo4j
  config:       /etc/neo4j
  logs:         /var/log/neo4j
  plugins:      /var/lib/neo4j/plugins
  import:       /var/lib/neo4j/import
  data:         /var/lib/neo4j/data
  certificates: /var/lib/neo4j/certificates
  run:          /var/run/neo4j
Starting Neo4j.
WARNING: Max 1024 open files allowed, minimum of 40000 recommended. See the Neo4j manual.
2020-08-18 16:40:18.144+0000 INFO  Starting...
2020-08-18 16:40:19.176+0000 ERROR Failed to start Neo4j on dbms.connector.http.listen_address, a socket address. If missing port or hostname it is acquired from dbms.default_listen_address. java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /var/log/neo4j/debug.log
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /var/log/neo4j/debug.log
        at org.neo4j.graphdb.factory.module.GlobalModule.createLogService(GlobalModule.java:366)
        at org.neo4j.graphdb.factory.module.GlobalModule.<init>(GlobalModule.java:173)
        at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.createGlobalModule(DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.java:243)
        at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.build(DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.java:126)
        at org.neo4j.server.CommunityBootstrapper.createNeo(CommunityBootstrapper.java:36)
        at org.neo4j.server.NeoBootstrapper.start(NeoBootstrapper.java:117)
        at org.neo4j.server.NeoBootstrapper.start(NeoBootstrapper.java:87)
        at org.neo4j.server.CommunityEntryPoint.main(CommunityEntryPoint.java:35)
Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /var/log/neo4j/debug.log
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:90)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:111)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:116)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:219)
        at java.base/java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newOutputStream(FileSystemProvider.java:478)
        at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newOutputStream(Files.java:219)
        at org.neo4j.io.fs.DefaultFileSystemAbstraction.openAsOutputStream(DefaultFileSystemAbstraction.java:78)
        at org.neo4j.io.fs.FileSystemUtils.createOrOpenAsOutputStream(FileSystemUtils.java:54)
        at org.neo4j.logging.RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.openOutputFile(RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.java:338)
        at org.neo4j.logging.RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.<init>(RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.java:137)
        at org.neo4j.logging.RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.<init>(RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.java:121)
        at org.neo4j.logging.internal.StoreLogService.<init>(StoreLogService.java:200)
        at org.neo4j.logging.internal.StoreLogService$Builder.build(StoreLogService.java:139)
        at org.neo4j.graphdb.factory.module.GlobalModule.createLogService(GlobalModule.java:362)
        ... 7 more
2020-08-18 16:40:19.186+0000 INFO  Neo4j Server shutdown initiated by request
0 REPLIES 0