cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Neo4j Desktop- movie database could not be found

Isha
Node Clone

Helloo,
the warning in the screenshot is shown and movie database could not be loaded. Does some one already know how to solve this?
I am using windows 10 OS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Isha
Node Clone

1st installation:
I moved the db directory into a new directory. I could create a new db without errors. No, the movie db was neither recreated by :play movies nor loaded from csv.
Further installations:
I am getting this kind of errors.
LEt me know, how to get a fresh install?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Did you create this previously? If so, was it on a disk that is no longer connected or reachable on your machine? Or did you move any directories or files that contained the db? Did you perform any permission or ownership changes on the directories containing the db?

Can you create a new database without issues, or do you encounter errors?

And was the movie database created from the Cypher obtained from :play movies via the browser? Or was this loaded from csv somewhere?

Hi, I just started using Neo4j Desktop in a course I teach and I have roughly 60 students. I had a couple of students with the same problem (example db not created). Some of them were able to fix this simply by reinstalling nd/or restarting neo4j desktop. However, a few were unsuccessful with that approach.

As I created a new project with these problematic ones, the moment they wanted to have a new database created in that project, they get this "could not set password" error ( I am assuming this error message is known here). I had a closer look with one of them and we googled a lot, even checked their JDK and a lot more.

However, we didn't manage to fix it. Since it seems related to the issue discussed in this thread (missing moviedb), and since one of the replies is marked as a solution, I wanted to ask for more details about this solution: what exactly did you do? Just moving the neo4j data folder to another location?

(Just if this is useful for completion, I am adding an entry from the log I obtained from one student)

[2021-03-20 15:05:55.495] [info] Executing 'C:\Users(...).Neo4jDesktop\relate-data\dbmss\dbms-be982ff0-(...)\bin\neo4j-admin.bat' [ 'set-initial-password', '***' ]
[2021-03-20 15:05:56.292] [error] Neo4jAdmin: Invoke-Neo4jAdmin : Ein Element mit dem gleichen Schl�ssel wurde bereits hinzugef�gt.

Please excuse the german windows used. The error message says something in the line of "An element with the same key was already added".

Alternately, you can create a new database and use :play movies to bring up the instruction card. The next slide has the query that should build up the movies graph (though no indexes or constraints are included).

I am not sure whether that was a reply to my message. However, the issue is, those few students are unable to create any database, no matter whether it's in the example project that comes preinstalled or any new project. As soon as they are in a project and choose to create a new database, the red error boxes show up saying a database could not be created due to the password that could not be set.

I added one of the error messages from the developer tools to my previous message. Doen't any one else encounter this problem?

Hi @desa ,

Sorry for what sounds like a frustrating, unpredictable experience. Some background: the error is bubbling up from the neo4j-admincommand, which is a command-line utility that is documented here Neo4j Admin - Operations Manual

It's unclear, to me, what is going wrong. Could you tell me the environmental details of the machines which are failing to use Neo4j Desktop? There are a few things which can affect running commands.

Could you share details about:

• OS + version
  • user permissions (regular or admin?)
  • Powershell version
  • is java installed on the machine (sometimes there can be a conflict with system installed java)

@angelo.gazzola Can you think of anything else to look at?

-ABK

Isha
Node Clone

1st installation:
I moved the db directory into a new directory. I could create a new db without errors. No, the movie db was neither recreated by :play movies nor loaded from csv.
Further installations:
I am getting this kind of errors.
LEt me know, how to get a fresh install?

Isha
Node Clone

Hi, My suggestion would be try to remove all the folders created as part of previous installations and re-install.. Hope it helps.