cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Neo4j Desktop: Backup/restore?

Does the Neo4j Desktop, with included developer server, allow use of the backup/restore functionality? In the docs, it looks like that is an enterprise function.

I used Neo4j several years ago, and at that time, there was no backup/restore functionality (except with the full enterprise version). I'm wondering if that changed.

5 REPLIES 5

Neo4j Desktop bundles a enterprise version for personal usage. Using the built-in terminal tab you can run bin/neo4j-admin [backup|restore]

By "built-in terminal tab", do you mean something from the desktop tool (which I don't see), or a command-window open to the "bin" directory, from an installation via the .Zip distribution (since the .exe doesn't seem to come with neo4j-admin, that I can see).

My platform is (forgive me) Windows 10.

Found it; under manage database...

This is a great UX problem for the neo4j devs to improve on: sure, one can run neo4j-admin.bat by opening the terminal but there is no intuitive section in the neo4j online manual to explain the procedure (start the DB, open terminal, run bin/neo4j-admin.bat backup --backup-dir=c:\somewhere)

Also, the terminal is glitching out a lot on my Win10 install - e.g. scrolling the window after resizing it is problematic, also text sometimes disappear and when opening the terminal there is just a blank screen with a cursor and no indication that it's a ready terminal for use (no prompt visible).

I agree. It would be really good to have a button to back up and a button to restore. It would give peace of mind that our precious database has been properly moved.