cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

neo4j-admin backup remotely

I need to backup a database that is hosted on remote neo4j v4.4.x server.  Following this documentation I used ./neo4j-admin tool (also v.4.4.x) on my laptop to backup the database like that:

./neo4j-admin backup --backup-dir=/users/myuserid/neo4j-admin backup --from=10.111.222.184 --database mydb --include-metadata=all –verbose

I was surprised that there are not such argument as "backup" in my neo4j-admin tool, here is the output: 

bash-4.4$ ./neo4j-admin
Usage: neo4j-admin [-hV] [--expand-commands] [--verbose] [COMMAND]
Neo4j database administration tool.
--expand-commands Allow command expansion in config value evaluation.
--verbose Prints additional information.
-h, --help Show this help message and exit.
-V, --version Print version information and exit.
Commands:
help Displays help information about the specified command
check-consistency Check the consistency of a database.
report Produces a zip/tar of the most common information needed for remote assessments.
store-info Print information about a Neo4j database store.
memrec Print Neo4j heap and pagecache memory settings recommendations.
import Import a collection of CSV files.
set-default-admin Sets the default admin user.
This user will be granted the admin role on startup if the system has no roles.
set-initial-password Sets the initial password of the initial admin user ('neo4j'). And removes the requirement to
change password on first login. IMPORTANT: this change will only take effect if performed
before the database is started for the first time.
dump Dump a database into a single-file archive.
load Load a database from an archive created with the dump command.
unbind Removes server identifier.
push-to-cloud Push your local database to a Neo4j Aura instance. The database must be shutdown in order to
take a dump to upload. The target location is your Neo4j Aura Bolt URI. You will be asked
your Neo4j Cloud username and password during the push-to-cloud operation.

----    

I am confused by the documentation that is mismatched to command options of this tool. 
Could someone help me how to use neo4j-admin tool to backup a database is hosted on a remote host? Thanks.     

6 REPLIES 6

@IgorY 

if you are running Neo4j Community edition this is expected since Backup is a Enterprise only feature

@dana_canzano my database  is running on Neo4j EE in a remote host but I use CE on my laptop. Is there anyway to backup my db in this case? Is it possible to use "dump" option to backup a remote db? thanks  

@IgorY 

is there a reason to use both EE and CE and not simply EE in both ?

our organization bought neo4j EE licenses for few instances (not enterprise license),  

the problem is that neo4j EE is running on the hardened container (port 22 is disabled by default). Are there any other options (cypher commands or something else) to backup this db to a remote host?  

neo4j-admin is very weird. probably it is first time in my experience that I can see the variable collection of parameters depends of version of this tool (EE vs CE). Still don't understand what's a logic behind to make two different version of same tool making so many confusions for the users. Is it an idea to prevent using backup/restore capabilities of CE version? Usually the vendors implement the controls for that on server side (disabling the ports, etc.).