cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Modelling and inserting sentences in a hierarchical document

I am looking to model a hierarchical document, and the sentences it contains and need to be able to idempotently upsert the document, and its contents.

Consider the document

My Document

Sentence 1

Section 1

Sentence 2
Sentence 3

Section 2

Sentence 4

For any given document, I know a unique document id, and want to store the sentence hierarchy in the graph.

I am considering a schema (using GraphQL library schema syntax) like:
type Document {
    id: ID!
    title: String
    content: [Sentence] @relationship(type: "HAS_SENTENCE", direction: OUT)
}

type Sentence {
    text: String!
    document: Document! @relationship(type: "SENTENCE_IN", direction: OUT)
    parent: Sentence @relationship(type: "PARENT_OF", direction: IN)
    previous: Sentence @relationship(type: "FOLLOWS", direction: OUT)
    next: Sentence @relationship(type: "FOLLOWS", direction: IN)
    children: Sentence @relationship(type: "PARENT_OF", direction: OUT)
}

In this case I'd expect the document to contain three root sentences, sentence 1, section 1, and section 2, with section 1 being parent of sentence 2 and sentence 3, and section 2 being parent of sentence 4.

My motivation is to be able to maintain hierarchical structure of the document when retrieved, and to be able to identify proximal co-occurrences of entities within the document content.

Are there alternate approaches to modelling the structure and content of a document that would be worth considering?

Assuming I already have this structure modeled as a json object, with previous/next semantics captured in the ordering of the `children` array, what would be the best way to go about inserting such a document in cipher?

The best approach I have come up with so far is to flatten the tree structure with a pre-order traversal, generating a list of sentences with generated ids and capturing the relationships with ids, then writing a cypher query which unwinds the list and adds each sentence one at a time building the graph as it goes.

Are there any other approaches to insert such a structure into the graph?
0 REPLIES 0
Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online