cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

GDS Dijkstra ShortestPath returns empty for multiple queries even though some paths have been return

cuneyttyler
Ninja
Ninja
I'm making multiple calls to GDS Dijkstra in one query: Below first call returns a path as path1 and second call returns nothing. When I make these queries together, whole query returns nothing. What might be the reason of that? Must I do separate calls rather?

CALL gds.shortestPath.dijkstra.stream('entityGraph', {sourceNode: 4638405,targetNode: 998302}) YIELD path as path1
CALL gds.shortestPath.dijkstra.stream('entityGraph', {sourceNode: 4638405,targetNode: 2098491}) YIELD path as path2
WITH collect(path1) + collect(path2) as all RETURN all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The results of the second call get appended to the first’s results. If the second call has zero results, then nothing will be returned.  
Use a call subquery to call them in a ‘union’ clause.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

The results of the second call get appended to the first’s results. If the second call has zero results, then nothing will be returned.  
Use a call subquery to call them in a ‘union’ clause.

I did this :

CALL {
   CALL gds.shortestPath.dijkstra.stream('entityGraph', {sourceNode: 4638405,targetNode: 2098491}) YIELD path 
UNION
   CALL gds.shortestPath.dijkstra.stream('entityGraph', {sourceNode: 4638405,targetNode: 998302}) YIELD path 
} return path

Now it says 'Unknown variable path@2' 

Okay, I needed to add RETURN to end of each query.

I have a similar issue and so far I found no explanation why appending 'nothing' to 'something' returns nothing instead of something?

I guess you can consider it like a sql inner join when you have a collection of matches. The all have to return results and they are mixed together. The optional match is like a sql outer join; it will return 'null' for its result and the results are mixed together. 

https://neo4j.com/docs/cypher-manual/current/clauses/optional-match/