cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Export.cypher.all batchSize effect

I'm attempting to export my DB as cypher and on an earlier version of neo4j (3.3.9) when I set streamStatements=true, batchSize=100 splits the response into multiple rows. When I run the same on 3.4 or 3.5 I get only 3 rows regardless of what I set the batchSize to. With the older version, I could execute the cypher by row to successfully run all the queries without using all the memory on the target DB, however with the later versions I can't successfully run the largest of the 3 individual queries.

Am I doing something wrong, or misunderstanding the effect of batchSize? Is there a way to split the cypher in later Neo4j/APOC versions so that it works as it did in 3.3.9?

4 REPLIES 4

Had the same issue before but if i may ask first how many nodes does your database have?

match (n) return count(n)
=> 32475

I know this isn't the best way to create a backup, however I'm looking for a short term risk mitigation approach as I don't have access to the instances and our backups managed by the vendor are EBS volume snapshots, so I have no independent backup that I could restore to another site if necessary. We're working on getting that in place, but I want to have at least a snapshot that I can control.

Worth noting that with the response in 3.3.9 I get 101 rows back with individual cypher queries that process fine in a separate, relatively small instance. So iterating over 101 queries is definitely workable since this is really only a short-term risk mitigation approach.

Well seems exporting it with bacthsize is the right idea. For my case the database only added the nodes and not creating relationships. So i opened the cypher script and removed some lines like BEGIN and CREATE INDEXES . So the database created the nodes and relationships. I later added the indexes manually. There's is a slight difference in cypher and apoc as you move from 3x to 3.5.

I was wondering whether I had misunderstood what batchSize was intended to do.

By setting format: 'plain' the exported cypher doesn't include the BEGIN, COMMIT and AWAIT keywords.

It seems that batchSize works as I anticipated in 3.3.9, but doesn't seem to have any effect in later versions.