cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

ETL mysql Connection failed. SQL state 08001. How to find my JDBC driver?

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble using the ETL Tool to connect from my laptop at home to the MySQL database on my remote hosted linux server. When I get to the point of adding the connection, I get the error:

"Connection failed. SQL state: 08001, message: Could not create connection to database server. Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up."

(See screenshot below.)

From what I can find online, this error could indicate a mismatch between my MySQL database server version and the MySQL JDBC jar file version. I know the MySQL server version but I'm not sure how to find the JDBC jar file version. To be honest I'm not even sure if the JDBC driver is supposed to reside on my laptop or my remote linux server -- I think my laptop (is it bundled up with the ETL Tool??) but I'm not sure.

I am using:
Neo4j Desktop 1.2.3 running on my MacBookPro at home; I'm able to use Neo4j Desktop successfully for other applications like manipulate and visualize my local graph database.
Neo4j ETL Tool 1.4.2

The remote MySQL database runs on a linux (redhat) server.
MySQL server version is 10.2.27-MariaDB.

Things I've done: I've made sure to whitelist my local IP address via the 'Remote MySQL' page in cPanel.

So my first probably very dumb question: how do I find out my JDBC jar file version?

David

2 REPLIES 2

I discovered the problem I was having: my MySQL database timezone was in an unrecognized format (I think it was set to CDS). To fix it, I added &serverTimezone=UTC to the end of the connection URL.

I had the same problem when I used SquirreLSQL to connect. SquirreLSQL gave me an error message that allowed me to figure it out. I don't know how involved this would be, but it would be useful if ETL could provide similar error messages for troubleshooting purposes.

(Or perhaps the tutorials could suggest that if you have problems connecting, consider using SquirreLSQL or SQLExplorer to connect and troubleshoot.)

Duuuude thank you! Saved me a ton of time.