cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Database failed to start - macOS Catalina

Hi - I've am following the tutorial and downloaded neo4j desktop on a macOS catalina, creating a new graph as instructed however when I try to start the graph I get "Database failed to start: DB [database-63c4291f-d49f-43d4-b296-b7ff247998c7] 'v3.5.12' exited with status 'KILLED'. Check the logs".

The logs mention:

2019-10-19 03:23:58.516+0000 ERROR Failed to start Neo4j: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1416a80a' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "class org.bouncycastle.asn1.x500.X500Name overrides final method equals.(Ljava/lang/Object;)Z". Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1416a80a' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "class org.bouncycastle.asn1.x500.X500Name overrides final method equals.(Ljava/lang/Object;)Z".
org.neo4j.server.ServerStartupException: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1416a80a' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "class org.bouncycastle.asn1.x500.X500Name overrides final method equals.(Ljava/lang/Object;)Z".

I haven't been able to find any mention of this error - I would appreciate any assistance.
Thanks

1 REPLY 1

I have found the issue... there was a competing bouncycastle library that was a different version to the library with neo4j. I found it here:
/Library/Java/Extensions/bcprov-jdk15-143.jar
The debug.log file showed this library was being accessed in one instance instead of the jar included with neo4j.
After removing this jar file the neo4j graph started successfully.