cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Cypher query and rand() function

maziar
Node Link

I want to generate random integer numbers between 0 and 10, using the rand() in my Cypher query, ( because there is a rating property I want to randomly feed).
Hence, please help me to generate those random numbers.
thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

rand() will generate a random number from 0 (inclusive) to 1 (exclusive); i.e. [0,1) Mathematical functions - numeric - Neo4j Cypher Manual .

And so for example

return rand();

may return

rerun return rand(); and the result is now

so if you want a random number between 0 and 10

return toInteger(rand()*11);

Hello @dana.canzano , but how can I generate random numbers between two specific numbers like 2 and 8?

Take the lower bound, subtract it from the upper and lower bounds, generate the rand() between those, then add the lower bound back to the result.

So for 2 and 8, calculate the rand() for between 0 and 6, then add 2 to the result.

@andrew.bowman sorry, how would that be like?

To generate a random between 2 and 8, you can use

RETURN toInteger(rand() * 7) + 2;

Or, for a more generic approach, if you have $lower and $upper parameters, you can do:

RETURN toInteger(rand() * ($upper - $lower + 1)) + $lower;

thank you again @andrew.bowman , but are you sure the end result will be always lowered than $upper ?

I'm not sure what you mean, but you can test this yourself here, though you'll have to set the parameters:

UNWIND range(1,200) as row

You can scan through the results yourself, or modify to filter to anything outside the bounds and see if it returns anything.

also, regarding

so we know rand() will will generate a random number from 0 (inclusive) to 1 (exclusive) and thus a number between 0 and 0.99999999999 for example and so now we have this number * ( upper-lower + 1) + lower.

if upper is 8 and lower is 2 then this is
toInteger( some value between 0 and 0.999999999 * ( 8 -2 +1 ) ) and then + 2

so thus
toInteger( some value between 0 and 0.999999999 * ( 7 ) ) and then +2

and this is thus
toInteger ( so value between 0 and 6.99999999999) + 2
or
a value between (0 and 6) + 2

and this a value between 2 and 8

but are you sure the end result will be always lowered than $upper ?

ok in this case we might generate a value equal to either $lower or $upper (i.e. we might generate a value of either 2 or 8 in this case).

if you want to generate a random value not inclusive of $upper and $lower, i.e. u want a random number > 2 and < 8 then

its not much to modify the original example accordingly of

so as to meet your needs whatever they may be.