cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Cypher has variable-length "line"-of-arrows matching, but does it have variable-size "grid" matching?

I know you can search for "any number of arrows" using Variable-length pattern matching

So that matches a "line of arrows" if you will, of any length.

But can you match a "grid of arrows" of any size, ie. a 2D grid, possibly even 3D if it can be done for 2D?

A -> B -> C -> ... -> D
|    |    |           |
V    V    V           V
A'-> B'-> C'-> ... -> D'
.    .    .           .
.    .    .           .
.    .    .           .
|    |    |           |
V    V    V           V
A''->B''->C''-> ... ->D''

That is what I mean as a generalization of the 1D case, a 2D grid of any size. Where, for this question, each square in the grid is bounded by exactly 4 arrows or "sides".

If it Cypher doesn't directly support this, then what would be the most optimal way of implementing it using Neo4j's suite of technology?

1 REPLY 1

Hi @fruitfulapproach !

So, if I understand correctly you want to get from A to B' by doing a 2-hop search from two directions (through B and through A')?

If this is the case, the variable-length pattern matching actually does that, it doesn't go just from A to B or from A to A' , exclusively, but from every relationship that A has.

Please let me know if this is useful or if you have more details for the case you want to solve!

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online