cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Can't connect to AuraDB instance using graphdatascience library in Python

This is the first time I am using neo4j and I am trying to connect to AuraDB instance to create a knowledge graph. I am using graphdatascience library to connect to the instance. And I can't seem to get connected to the server. I ran this command,

gds = GraphDataScience(host, auth=(user, password))

which gave me the following error.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CypherSyntaxError                         Traceback (most recent call last)
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/graphdatascience/graph_data_science.py in __init__(self, endpoint, auth, aura_ds, arrow, arrow_disable_server_verification, arrow_tls_root_certs)
     88         try:
---> 89             server_version_string = self._query_runner.run_query("RETURN gds.version()").squeeze()
     90         except Exception as e:

8 frames
CypherSyntaxError: {code: Neo.ClientError.Statement.SyntaxError} {message: Unknown function 'gds.version' (line 1, column 8 (offset: 7))
"RETURN gds.version()"
        ^}

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

UnableToConnectError                      Traceback (most recent call last)
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/graphdatascience/graph_data_science.py in __init__(self, endpoint, auth, aura_ds, arrow, arrow_disable_server_verification, arrow_tls_root_certs)
     89             server_version_string = self._query_runner.run_query("RETURN gds.version()").squeeze()
     90         except Exception as e:
---> 91             raise UnableToConnectError(e)
     93         server_version_match = re.search(r"^(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)", server_version_string)

UnableToConnectError: {code: Neo.ClientError.Statement.SyntaxError} {message: Unknown function 'gds.version' (line 1, column 8 (offset: 7))
"RETURN gds.version()"
        ^}

The URI, username and password I entered are all correct since I can connect to the instance using the neo4j library but not this wrapper. Could someone please suggest what I can do? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

I looks like it doesn’t know the ‘gds.version’ function. You probably need to use AuraDS instead of AuraDB. 

https://neo4j.com/docs/aura/aurads/