cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Reasoning: why does Google use graph databases for route calculation?

Hi everyone,
I am currently working on a paper for my university on the topic of "use-cases for graph databases". One of the areas of application I would like to cover is Google Maps. According to many reports, Google uses the A* algorithm, which works with a graph.
So, in preparation for this topic, I have been looking into the technical background of graphs and relational databases and I think I understand the advantages and disadvantages quite well by now.

Now in my paper I want to argue, that for some use-cases it just doesn't make sense to use something else but a graph. But at the moment I somehow can't transfer the theoretical knowledge into practice in such a way that I could write an argument from it.
So my question is: How can I explain why Google uses graph databases for its route calculation?

My idea would be to argue with algorithmic complexity; so basically that the execution time simply becomes too large with an increasing number of nodes (i.e. hops in the case of a route calculation) because there are too many possibilities (Traveling Salesman Problem).

Do you think I'm going in the right direction with this, or would you argue differently? And how would I have to proceed with this argumentation? Is there perhaps a formula for this?

Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid, but I'm still quite new to the topic, so please bear with me.
I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance

0 REPLIES 0
Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online