cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

"bin\neo4j console" not working

Hello everyone! My name is Onurhan, an undergrad CS student and a total newbie to Neo4j. Been trying to install Neo4j to my Windows 10.

I am following every step from here: https://neo4j.com/download-thanks-desktop/?edition=desktop&flavour=windows&release=1.2.6&offline=tru...

I navigate to the right directory, type "bin\neo4j console", then this is printed to the console:

2020-04-08 14:42:31.937+0000 INFO ======== Neo4j 4.0.3 ========
2020-04-08 14:42:31.942+0000 INFO Starting...
2020-04-08 14:42:41.300+0000 ERROR Failed to start Neo4j: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService@718f805a' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "Transaction logs are missing and recovery is not possible. To force the database to start anyway, you can specify 'dbms.recovery.fail_on_missing_files=false'. This will create new transaction log and will update database metadata accordingly. Doing this means your database integrity might be compromised, please consider restoring from a consistent backup instead.". Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService@718f805a' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "Transaction logs are missing and recovery is not possible. To force the database to start anyway, you can specify 'dbms.recovery.fail_on_missing_files=false'. This will create new transaction log and will update database metadata accordingly. Doing this means your database integrity might be compromised, please consider restoring from a consistent backup instead.".
org.neo4j.server.ServerStartupException: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService@718f805a' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "Transaction logs are missing and recovery is not possible. To force the database to start anyway, you can specify 'dbms.recovery.fail_on_missing_files=false'. This will create new transaction log and will update database metadata accordingly. Doing this means your database integrity might be compromised, please consider restoring from a consistent backup instead.".
*** at org.neo4j.server.exception.ServerStartupErrors.translateToServerStartupError(ServerStartupErrors.java:45)***
*** at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:164)***
*** at org.neo4j.server.ServerBootstrapper.start(ServerBootstrapper.java:114)***
*** at org.neo4j.server.ServerBootstrapper.start(ServerBootstrapper.java:89)***
*** at org.neo4j.server.CommunityEntryPoint.main(CommunityEntryPoint.java:35)***
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService@718f805a' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "Transaction logs are missing and recovery is not possible. To force the database to start anyway, you can specify 'dbms.recovery.fail_on_missing_files=false'. This will create new transaction log and will update database metadata accordingly. Doing this means your database integrity might be compromised, please consider restoring from a consistent backup instead.".
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:465)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.start(LifeSupport.java:111)***
*** at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:157)***
*** ... 3 more***
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error starting database server at C:\Users\Onurhan\Desktop\neo4j-community-4.0\neo4j-community-4.0.3\data\databases
*** at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.startDatabaseServer(DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.java:167)***
*** at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.build(DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.java:145)***
*** at org.neo4j.server.database.CommunityGraphFactory.newDatabaseManagementService(CommunityGraphFactory.java:36)***
*** at org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService.start(LifecycleManagingDatabaseService.java:88)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:444)***
*** ... 5 more***
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component 'org.neo4j.dbms.database.DefaultSystemGraphInitializer@3c4262d1' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "Transaction logs are missing and recovery is not possible. To force the database to start anyway, you can specify 'dbms.recovery.fail_on_missing_files=false'. This will create new transaction log and will update database metadata accordingly. Doing this means your database integrity might be compromised, please consider restoring from a consistent backup instead.".
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:465)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.start(LifeSupport.java:111)***
*** at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.startDatabaseServer(DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.java:158)***
*** ... 9 more***
Caused by: org.neo4j.graphdb.DatabaseShutdownException: This database is shutdown.
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.availability.DatabaseAvailabilityGuard.assertDatabaseAvailable(DatabaseAvailabilityGuard.java:172)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacade.beginKernelTransaction(GraphDatabaseFacade.java:185)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacade.beginTransactionInternal(GraphDatabaseFacade.java:165)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacade.beginTransaction(GraphDatabaseFacade.java:119)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacade.beginTransaction(GraphDatabaseFacade.java:113)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacade.beginTransaction(GraphDatabaseFacade.java:101)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacade.beginTx(GraphDatabaseFacade.java:96)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.DefaultSystemGraphInitializer.isSystemGraphEmpty(DefaultSystemGraphInitializer.java:100)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.DefaultSystemGraphInitializer.initializeSystemGraph(DefaultSystemGraphInitializer.java:76)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.DefaultSystemGraphInitializer.initializeSystemGraph(DefaultSystemGraphInitializer.java:69)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.SystemGraphInitializer.start(SystemGraphInitializer.java:30)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:444)***
*** ... 11 more***
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component 'org.neo4j.kernel.recovery.Recovery$MissingTransactionLogsCheck@27a09971' failed to initialize. Please see the attached cause exception "Transaction logs are missing and recovery is not possible. To force the database to start anyway, you can specify 'dbms.recovery.fail_on_missing_files=false'. This will create new transaction log and will update database metadata accordingly. Doing this means your database integrity might be compromised, please consider restoring from a consistent backup instead.".
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.init(LifeSupport.java:426)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.init(LifeSupport.java:66)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.start(LifeSupport.java:102)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.recovery.Recovery.performRecovery(Recovery.java:364)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.database.Database.start(Database.java:380)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.AbstractDatabaseManager.startDatabase(AbstractDatabaseManager.java:187)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.DefaultDatabaseManager.startDatabase(DefaultDatabaseManager.java:132)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.DefaultDatabaseManager.startDatabase(DefaultDatabaseManager.java:36)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.AbstractDatabaseManager.forEachDatabase(AbstractDatabaseManager.java:165)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.AbstractDatabaseManager.startAllDatabases(AbstractDatabaseManager.java:112)***
*** at org.neo4j.dbms.database.AbstractDatabaseManager.start(AbstractDatabaseManager.java:106)***
*** ... 12 more***
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Transaction logs are missing and recovery is not possible. To force the database to start anyway, you can specify 'dbms.recovery.fail_on_missing_files=false'. This will create new transaction log and will update database metadata accordingly. Doing this means your database integrity might be compromised, please consider restoring from a consistent backup instead.
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.recovery.Recovery$MissingTransactionLogsCheck.checkForMissingLogFiles(Recovery.java:512)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.recovery.Recovery$MissingTransactionLogsCheck.init(Recovery.java:501)***
*** at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.init(LifeSupport.java:405)***
*** ... 22 more***
2020-04-08 14:42:41.309+0000 INFO Neo4j Server shutdown initiated by request

Also http://localhost:7474/ gives "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" on my Chrome browser. I tried it on Microsoft Edge, it's giving a similar error.

I have JDK 11.0.6 installed.

This is my second attempt to install. First time, I only downloaded "neo4j-desktop-offline-1.2.6-setup" and tried to start from there. But when I tried to start a database "Database failed to start: DB [database-da2830be-9da0-409c-a142-02b631b6b94c] 'v4.0.3' exited with status 'KILLED' " was what I got. I uninstalled Neo4j with the help of Elaine from user support, and reinstalled from above link. This is how i got here.

Thanks everyone for your help and time!

13 REPLIES 13

Hello,

If you have downloaded Neo4j desktop, you should simply click the executable to install it. The running of the console is if you have downloaded Neo4j Server.

Are you trying to install Neo4j Desktop?

It should create a icon on your "Desktop" that you simply click to stat Neo4j Desktop.

Elaine

Hello,

I am hoping to use Neo4j for my graduation project. If Neo4j Desktop is what I need I can install it and use it.

Is server not needed to use the desktop app? I thought it was necessary because of the errors.

As you can see in the screenshot, the error is still the same. I installed Neo4j Desktop(1.2.6) and Neo4j Community Server(Neo4j 4.0.3).

At the first time I contacted you, there was only desktop application.

Is there really a problem or am I missing something? Can't be sure.

Appreciated for your help.

Elaine Rosenberg via Neo4j Online Community neo4jcommunity@discoursemail.com, 8 Nis 2020 Çar, 23:25 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

Forgetting, I can create a database. I create a local graph and it is also giving the same error.

Onurhan Salur onurhansalur@gmail.com, 9 Nis 2020 Per, 04:50 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

Can you look at the log file for Neo4j Desktop here:

%USERPROFILE%.Neo4jDesktop\log.log

Also, hover over the three dots to the right of Sample database and select Manage and then view the log file for this sample database.

Hopefully the logs will show something useful.

Elaine

neo4j.log is the log for sample database.
All the best!

Elaine Rosenberg via Neo4j Online Community neo4jcommunity@discoursemail.com, 9 Nis 2020 Per, 15:39 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

(Attachment neo4j.log is missing)

(Attachment log.log is missing)

Onurhan Salur onurhansalur@gmail.com, 9 Nis 2020 Per, 16:12 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

sample_db_log.txt (32.3 KB)

log_for_neo4j.txt (469 KB)

When you installed Neo4j Desktop, did you specify a different folder for the application data? In the log file, it is saying that ~/.Neo4jDesktop/neo4jDatabases does not exist?

Can you do the following:

1. Remove all files in ~/.Neo4jDesktop
  2. Reinstall Neo4j Desktop and install it so all users on your system will have access. Use defaults for everything else.
  3. Then see if Neo4j Desktop starts and the sample database is started.

Elaine

Should I leave the path for application data, as the installer suggest? It is %user_profile%.Neo4jDesktop

Elaine Rosenberg via Neo4j Online Community neo4jcommunity@discoursemail.com, 9 Nis 2020 Per, 18:59 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

Can you send the logs from your recent install?

Elaine

Good luck, thank you!

Elaine Rosenberg via Neo4j Online Community neo4jcommunity@discoursemail.com, 9 Nis 2020 Per, 23:25 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

log.txt (69.1 KB)

db_log.txt (29.4 KB)

Yes, use all defaults, except you want all users on your system to be able to access Neo4j Desktop. This may help with permissions....

Elaine

Didn't work, also I want to add that I tried it on my other pc too. That was the first time I installed Neo4j to that pc. I always registered with same information, can that result in my problem?

Elaine Rosenberg via Neo4j Online Community neo4jcommunity@discoursemail.com, 9 Nis 2020 Per, 21:16 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

I am confused by the db.log. It seems to have records from the previous installation. Did you delete all files related to the previous installation?

I don't see anything alarming in the desktop log file. It didn't find a 5.1 or later version of powershell.

Can you install a later version of powershell?

And can you delete ALL files from the Neo4j Desktop installation and reinstall? I don't want to see anything in the db log file that refers to records written prior to the install of 1.2.7 of Desktop.

Elaine

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online