cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Neo4j as a GUI for database maintenance?

I am looking for a way to build a UI for maintaining a bespoke NoSQL database (which is implemented in Apache Spark on AWS, via Databricks). Our data domain model lends itself to a graph-based approach, so I would like to present data to our internal users via an interactive graph-analytic interface like Bloom. The challenge is that the users need to be able to trigger actions based on the outcome of their searches, and I don't see this functionality in any of the products I've looked at.

A use case would be illustrative: suppose the user needs to look up a subscriber and alter their contact phone number. The search stage would be straight-forward: it would land at a node that represented the "subscriber". One of the directed edges from the "subscriber" node would point to the "contacts" node, which would have zero or more child nodes; each child node would capture either a phone number, an e-mail address, a website, a fax number (yes, I know!), etc. and would have up to 5 attributes ("contactType", "contactValue", "contactPriority", etc.) .

Now comes the tricky bit... I want the user to be able to right-click on a piece of data or a node, and be given the option to enter some text into a pop-up form and submit it as a data-change event. (I actually need to cater for updates, inserts, and deletes, but the user experience will be similar.)

The data-event would not actually alter the database in real-time. Rather, it would trigger a procedure that packages a data change request and submits it to the Spark engine. Or, it could just write the data-change request to a file that gets processed daily. The hard part is how to turn the right-click event into an action: can Neo4j / Bloom support event routines? Can it write to a database other than the one that underlies the current graph (i.e. the repository of data-change requests)?

3 REPLIES 3

I think you're going to need a full stack app to accomplish what you want. Neo4j is awesome and it's query editor is awesome, but in the end it's still just a database just like Oracle or MS-SQL. For that front-end user interaction, you'll want to build out a full app. The app could still take some visual cues from Neo4j Desktop by using nodes and relationships, but it'll still be a standalone app. The GRAND Stack is a popular tech stack in the community.

Thanks, Mike.

I thought about driving Neo4j from Python, but I would still need a framework to create the front end, which I now realise will be the hardest part.

Hi Allen,

Did you end up building a gui? I am in a similar situation and was wondering about your solution.

Thanks so much.

Ari

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online