cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Creating nodes and setting up relationships

Greetings! I have a newbie cypher question on creating nodes and relationships. As a simple example I want to create a db with the following commands:

Create (:Person{Name:"Robert Plant"})-[member_of]->(:Band{Name:"Led Zeppelin"})
Create (:Person{Name:"Jimmy Page"})-[member_of]->(:Band{Name:"Led Zeppelin"})

I wind up with 2 person nodes and 2 band nodes with the same name, I want to create people and have them point to the same band node? How do I do this? Hope this makes sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Lucian1215,
I recommend you do the free online course provided by neo4j - online training. This will help you a lot in understanding most of the basics behind using neo4j.

As for the above problem you have to attach a variable to the band node, this is to allow the node be identified later on.

Create (:Person{Name:"Robert Plant"})-[:MEMBER_OF]->(b:Band{Name:"Led Zeppelin"})
Create (:Person{Name:"Jimmy Page"})-[:MEMBER_OF]->(b)

Hope this helps you

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Lucian1215,
I recommend you do the free online course provided by neo4j - online training. This will help you a lot in understanding most of the basics behind using neo4j.

As for the above problem you have to attach a variable to the band node, this is to allow the node be identified later on.

Create (:Person{Name:"Robert Plant"})-[:MEMBER_OF]->(b:Band{Name:"Led Zeppelin"})
Create (:Person{Name:"Jimmy Page"})-[:MEMBER_OF]->(b)

Hope this helps you

Yes, Thank you very much for the answer and your time, Tarendran. I have gone through the tutorials and they are great but in some cases the examples are more focused on the query perspective. A good example is the "Ann" and "Dan" relationship section where they both drive a volvo. I could not find a clear explanation of how, after creating Ann, Dan, and Dan's Volvo, how to set the relationship that Ann also drives that same Volvo. I understand I should first match on Dan's Volvo and then set Ann's relationship with it.

Thank you again

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online