cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head's Up! These forums are read-only. All users and content have migrated. Please join us at community.neo4j.com.

Connecting Apache Zeppelin Notebooks to Neo4j - Yes you can!

Just wanted to share a bit of excitement I had tonight. I've been doing a lot of work in Apache Zeppelin Notebook Server lately, mostly just in PySpark and SQL. But then driving home tonight I had the curious idea if Zeppelin could connect to Neo4j. I've used Neo4j's jdbc driver in the past to ETL from pentaho to Neo4j so I suspected that Zeppelin could as well. To my excitement, it worked!

I'll write up a more detailed blog post but referencing my post about setting up pentaho and this reference for creating an interpreter in zeppelin, you can execute cypher statements in paragraph in a notebook server.

This is will be exciting to be able to leverage the reporting and story telling ability of a notebook server to query data from a variety of sources including Neo4j! I'm curious if anyone else has already done this, and I'm just late the game and this was already common knowledge to everyone else?

4 REPLIES 4

greta
Graph Fellow

Thanks for submitting!

I've added a tag that allows your blog to be displayed on the community home page!

CC: @thomas.stuempfig referencing because of his post/thread:

conker84
Graph Voyager

Hi @mike.r.black really cool stuff!
Just to let you know starting from v 0.8 Zeppelin provides native integration with Neo4j:
https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.8.0/interpreter/neo4j.html
The Neo4j interpreter provides a native integration between Neo4j and Zeppelin allowing you to write your Cypher query and visualizing the resulting graph.
Following you'll find my speech @ the Graph Connect last year:

Please give it a try, and let us have your feedback!

@conker84 that's awesome and good work. I can't wait until AWS supports v0.8 with their dev end points because I'll be excited to star to upgrade to that so I can also integrate with Neo4j in my zeppelin instance.

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online